Saturday, January 24, 2004

Man Can Cook?



tastes as good as she looks!



At this stage of her pregnancy, there is a lot that Mae cannot eat stand! Just about anything makes her puke! Oily and deep fried foods. Anything with pepper or garlic. Mushrooms. In fact, just the mere thought of these stuff is enough to send her hurling buckets into the john. So, since it's the long holiday, we decided to cook at home. "We" is of course, figurative, since she can't stand the smell of the kitchen too! So instead, she entrusts her life and that of our baby into my cookery skills (or lack of)! Being the wonderful (ahem) husband that I am, I try and make her experience of dining at home as pleasant as I possibly can.


Tuesday night, we had a steamed fillet of Dory (yes, she of the Finding Nemo fame!) with a side of mash potatoes and steamed veggies. That came with a nice tangy sauce which she enjoyed. For lunch the next day, we had chinese fried rice which I made too damn soggy. For the reunion dinner, we had fried Loh Shee Fun.


On Thursday, since she was craving for popiah, we had a little popiah party, just the two of us. It was okay, except for the skin. I had intended to buy fresh popiah skin at the market but I coundn't find any. So I settled for the ones in the supermarket. I know I shouldn't have but I was desparate. In my desperation, I brought shame to my hometown of Taiping - the world capital of Popiah!


To redeem myself, for dinner I made Kaisee Mein (Chicken Strip Noodle) which was also a Taiping favourite. This was my first solo attempt since the only times I've ever tried it was when mom did most of the work. Anyway, my Kaisee Mein woulda made mom proud! :) Somewhere in between, I also tried a Cantonese Fried Hor Fun of which, the less said the better. For anyone of you out there who decides to try this, one word of advice: when it comes to putting the egg in the broth, less is more!!!


Anyway, I've run out of ideas. Yesterday, she had fillet of Dory again. Thankfully, she really like the stuff. Thanks also to my mom-in-law who buys this excellent fish at a fantastic price. Three pieces of the Dory would cost you anything from RM 13 to RM 15 in Giant. Mae's mom gets it directly from Oz at about RM 8. Clever woman.


Anyway, the wonderful wife that she is - she tells me that she loves my food. But this morning for breakfast she decides that we should go to McD. Hahaha!!!! If I confront her, she'll probably say that Baby wants a McEgg Muffin!

2 comments:

  1. wow...u sound like you can cook practically anything. may be i should send my hubby to you for some intense cooking course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure I can, gambit, but I can guarantee that it's edible though! :lol:

    ReplyDelete