Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Budding Artist?

jesse-brucedrawing

drawing inspiration?


Every since Jesse could hold a pencil without attempting to ingest the damn thing, he'd been drawing. And, for a five-year-old, I think he's got potential. Then again, I am his father and am allowed to be biased so you'll forgive me. :)

If he ever develops this skill, let it be known that he got it from my side of the family. The Tan family are genetically creative. Jesse great-grandpa, my grandad used to paint movie posters in Capitol Cinema in Taiping. Yeah, way back before large-format printers, this stuff was hand-drawn, and my grandpappy was the man to do it. My uncle is also an accomplished artist, and Mom was always good in sketching and craft. I inherited a little of it too, which put me in my present vocation as a graphic designer. Jesse's Uncle Steve is also a pretty good artist, while his Uncle Jeff is... erm... well... a nice guy. Heh.

The shot above is the boy's sketch of his hero, Bruce Lee. He's put in quite a bit of detail here. Bruce has got hair, angry arched eyebrows, a mouth, 2 nostrils and five digits on each hand. He's also made sure to give Bruce Lee two nipples and a belly button. Hahahah! You can't teach stuff like this! No parent ever told his kid, "Hey, draw some nipples in there, and don't forget that bulge in his pants!" Nope, it's gotta come from his own observation.

Jesse also does a mean Iron Man. Yeah, that's my boy. :)

jesse-ironmdrawing

7 comments:

  1. Bruce Lee? I thot that was you. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it runs in the family. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Mumsgather. I look like Bruce Lee. :lol:
    Thank you, Adriene.
    We'll see, Gina. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good attempt at perspective - he draws one leg larger than the one behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey...i resent that! I am good with my hands...artistically. I can fold a bird better than you can hold one. Tho artistic i am not but they call me creative. Make ppl upset only.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahah, Maggie, that's one way of looking at it!
    Pathfinder: Ok, Jeff, stop sulking. You're creative. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete