Monday, June 5, 2006

Taiping Trip In Pictures

I've been busy hence the sporadic updates. Here's a pictorial of our Taiping trip last week.


We left on a Friday. Scheduled to depart at 1800hrs but ended up leaving at 2100hrs instead on account of the rain. It rained all the way home dragging a 3 hour journey up to 4 hours. Ugh!


Thankfully, in Taiping you can always expect a light at the end of the tunnel. Mine was Char Kuey Teow at one of Taiping's very few late night hangouts - SiangMalam. This is a new discovery for me. (pardon the bad shot - the Nokia 6280 doesn't do macro)


Breakfast was one of Taiping's best-kept secret - Kai See Mein, which is loosely translated as Shredded-Chicken Noodle. It's kinda like Ipoh Kuey Teow, except we eat ours with Sambal Belacan. We had ours with side orders of Beans Sprouts and Fishballs. Taiping folks love their Kai See Mein which is why the place is always packed. Read more at Jeff's. Jeff's my brother. So is Steve.


Jesse loves it in Taiping. Our house is one of those Colonial shophouses. Grandma had it extended so it's a pretty long house - almost 300 feet long from our front door to the back. This is a picture of Jesse doing a 300ft dash.


Lunch is Fishball Kuey Teow at Taiping's Casual Market. This dish must be unique to Taiping since I swear I have never seen it served anywhere else. It's a pretty basic Hokkien-style fried kuey teow with fishballs, fishcakes and chinese bbq pork. Nice.


At night, we celebrated Mom's birthday. Jeff, Steve and I decided we'd go home together this time to celebrate early with Mom. It was a joint celebration with Auntie Aini - since her birthday fell on the same day. I called Mom later in the week and she told me that she was "sooo happy" that we all came home. *sniff* Mother's are easy. Heh! Just go home a lot, kiddies. Don't say Uncle James never told you so.


In the morning, Mae and I took Jesse and his cousins, Dhanika and Irisha to the zoo. Dhanika, the older kid, is a real sweetheart who's really taken to me. "Uncle James can I stay with you?" she says as she gives me her best puppy-dog eyes. "But your mommy will be lonely," I told her. "But I will miss you," she flashes more of her puppy-dog eyes. *awww*


Jesse never did give ice-cream a chance. I finally realised why - we don't buy enough pink ice-cream. The boy likes pink. Ugh! The plus side is, he's enjoying ice-cream now, regardless of color. I'm just glad he likes ice-cream like all kids should. I'll have to do something about the bit about liking pink.

That's it. I'm done. Work is piling up. Will be back when the dust settles. Be good, ok?

17 comments:

  1. I have always like the Char Kueh Teow with the fishcake in Taiping. Just like when I was a kid. It never changed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh.. all the good food again.. and me longing..! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I was back in Taiping during the weekend too. My favorite is the sambal prawn nasi lemak from Siang Malam. I ate 3 packets every night i was in Taiping much to the dissaproval of my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. everywhere is food to you ah :P
    but they really look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! what's wrong with liking pink? every man has their feminine side what... boys included :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, what's wrong with pink? I like pink oso la especially those pretty cute girls in pink clothes and underwear. Muahaha. Joking joking!!
    DG - Boys don't have feminine side!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mom looks good. Sihat nampak. Glad to hear all is well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. terrorfunkynames!! eurasian?

    ReplyDelete
  9. 300 ft is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong, like FOUR houses long! Inbuilt jogging track!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanna go back to Taiping tooooooo...
    I suddenly have a craving for fried Kuey Teow and strawberry ice-cream. Who shall I blame for this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa..300ft? that's super long man! sure not 300m???
    food looks damn freaking good man!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WatLa.. In taiping liao still no one visits me in Sitiawan.. :(
    I thinkGrandma's are just happy to see their grandkids!! they don't really care if the middle generation is there or not! I know that's is definitely the case with my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a small world! how are you related to Aunt Aini? I know them too. I saw Lydia at the back of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Taiping is really yummylicious!
    It's a good place to hang out and eat huh?
    I like the pace there..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must you torture me with the food pics James? Can't stop thinking about Char Kuey Teow now and it's all your fault. The fake Char Kuey Teow we get here in Houston is rather pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lagi sedap di makan, SillyPat! :)
    Heh. Thank goodness for somethings never changing, eh Gina?
    MamaBok: DIY lah!
    I know that one TKChow!! :) It's too bad we hardly get sambal prawns packet nasi lemak here in KL.
    What else is there, Eggy?
    Erm, ok... Dom.Goddess... :)
    Ah, I like your view, Willwolf. :lol:
    She's plenty sihat these days, Bonnie. Thanks.
    Husband: They're Chindians. :) And yes, the house is long - which probably explains why I was a far thinner guy in Taiping than in KL!
    Maverix, don't blame, just go. :lol:
    I only eat good looking food, MOTT!
    Hahhah... we'll get around to Setiawan someday, Chiwi.
    Small world, Chia. Auntie Aini is my dad's brother's wife.
    Zara's Mama, it's really laid-back there.
    Search my archives for the recipe lah, Revlon! :)

    ReplyDelete