Monday, February 25, 2008

Lim Kit Siang vs. Chee Cheong Fun

Haha. Okay, so the title is a little sensationalist but it pretty much sums up my first encounter with the man.

The year was 1988 (or thereabouts, I can't rightly remember). It was teatime on a weekday and I was just stepping out of my house to buy Chee Cheong Fun when I noticed a commotion down the street. A crowd was building along Harrison Street, Taiping where I lived.

"Cheebye!" I called out to my neighbour. His real name was Chee Wai, but I was 17 at the time and at that age, it was entertaining to make fun of people's names. "What the hell's going on?" I enquired, seeing as to how he was making a beeline towards the DAP office near our homes.

"Lim Kit Siang is out of prison!" he called back to me, "let's go!".

"Nah," I scoffed, "Today, I'm voting for Chee Cheong Fun." I was always more epicural than political. *sigh*

That night, I discovered that Lim Kit Siang has been in prison for some ISA charge. I also found that the man had been going in and out of Kamunting through the course of his political career. The selfish bastard that I was, I could never understand why anyone would risk jail for their beliefs. But like I said, I was 17 at the time and not too bright.

Today I have grown to respect Lim Kit Siang and his colleagues in the Opposition, if not for their person, then at the very least, their tenacity to keep fighting. The rewards have been a few, and yet they soldier on. So I thought, on this occasion of our 12th Election, I'd like to dedicate this song to Lim Kit Siang and the rest of you Opposition fellas out there:
ROCKETMAN - Elton John

She packed my bags last night, preflight
Zero hour, nine a.m.
And I'm gonna be high
As a kite by then

I miss the earth so much
I miss my wife
It's lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight

And I think it's gonna be a long, long, time
'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Ah, no no no...
I'm a rocket man
Rocket man
Burnin' out his fuse
Up here alone

Mars ain't the kind of place
To raise your kids
In fact, it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them
If you did

And all this science
I don't understand
It's just my job
Five days a week
A Rocket Man
Rocket Man
I think it's quite the appropriate song for the Rocketman himself. Just so you know some of us appreciate. :)

ADDENDUM
I figured I should link it here cos it's a really wonderful song. Three versions: Kate Bush's, voted the best cover version of all times; a really weird one by William Shatner, and of course the original.

8 comments:

  1. Just dedicate song no point. Never register and vote also. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes.. go register so that you can vote for the next GE.
    and u just revealed your age, btw. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomatoinc. :)
    Or you could vote Chee Cheong Fun, Gina. :lol:
    Oh no, Maggie, now everyone knows I'm 37 in 2008 and that I was born in 1971. My social life is over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Malaysia need ppl like Lim Kit Siang who will probe for the truth until it's revealed.
    Go ahead and register when you reach 21!! It's just that simple. Rmb must do arr!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still think Chee Cheong Fun wins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Biolovepulse. When I grow up, I will register. :lol:
    Not true, Fanboy. In some constituencies, Char Kuey Teow is the incumbent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant against Lim Kit Siang. Don't be cheeky.

    ReplyDelete