Friday, September 24, 2004

A Fine Confinement Lady

Does everyone have a Confinement Lady? Sometimes I wonder if other races or civilizations have confinement ladies to help with the post-partum affairs. In fact, I'm not even sure if anyone else has confinements at all. But to the Chinese, that time after birth is all-important.

Every Chinese will tell you that Confinement Ladies are a must. Basically, her role is to take care of the mother and her new baby in adherence to the tips and taboos outlined by our forefathers. And boy, we Chinese have a heckuva lot of taboos!

Anyway, last month, we engaged the services of Aunty Mooi. She's a superwoman. She takes care of Mae's needs - her food, her herbal supplements, her medicinal baths, etc. On top of that, she also takes care of Baby Jesse. To make sure Mae gets a good night's rest, Jesse sleeps with her for the entire month. This ensures that all his late night activities of feeding and poo-ing are well taken care of.

As a Confinement Lady, Auntie Mooi is pretty progressive - given that she's attended quite a few... erm... training sessions with some Pediatricians. (Actually, she's always gone along for all doctor visits so that she could keep up with the latest in child care) That's helped a lot. Believe me. At least we didn't have to contend with a whole bunch of superstitions! Still, in many instances, she can be pretty old-school.

But what makes Aunty Mooi a really good Confinement Lady is the fact that the old girl can cook. Boy, can she ever! Every meal is a treat in our household these days. She rotates the menu well, and her cooking is more contemporary - which simply means she holds back on the ginger and the herbs! Aside from the customary Drunken Chicken Soup and Pork Trotter Vinegar Stew, we've had quite a good spread.

When Pip and Estella were doing their confinement, poor Pip was subjected to a daily torture of "heavily-gingered" dishes. So much so the poor chap plotted an amazing jailbreak to enjoy a nice plate on Wantan Noodles. And that was only after one week. Hehheh!

Meanwhile, in the Tan household, tonight will be yet another night of fine dining. Ahhhh... who said confinement had to be bad?

UPDATED 23 AUG 06: I have received quite a few email and comments asking for Auntie Mooi's contact number. I'm sorry to inform that Auntie Mooi is no longer in the confinement business. She has officially retired since a year or so back and it doesn't look like she'll be back. Sorry, folks.

23 comments:

  1. james...i want to eat confinement food even not in my confinement.... :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leen and I don't have a baby, but I think I want a confinement lady. I have a cat, does that count? Got to get away from KFC....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Phoenix, some people actually like the stuff!
    You'll want one until you have to pay the bill, Jordan. Damn confinement ladies make a killing! :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops.. havent finish my sentence.. and IF we ever have a baby, marrying after 40.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better keep her number, James. Might come in handy when one of us - the spinsters get married.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and.. if she is still alive.. that is. How old is old girl?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, sounds like your confinement lady is really good. My SIL's one was so old-fashioned and she prevented her from doing this and that and she cooked awfully :P I am hoping that mine will be as good as yours :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. regular reader, first time comSeptember 25, 2004 at 12:26 PM

    Pip & Estella?!! I KNOW PIP & ESTELLA!! AAHAHAAAHAAHA Cool nicks!
    Wife's due soon and Confinement Lady is MIL. Ooooo *shudder......* She's pretty progressive too so should be ok.
    We're in DSH ParentCraft now too. Just viewed video and learnt abt PAIN!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. james, care to mail me her number... such good ones are hard to find hehehe can recommend her to friends and family
    my mom helped me previously though... was kinda relieved cos at least can still bargain for things hehehe
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey James, keep the number safe for your number 2 and *ahem* my number 3 & 4. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gina, I think our confinement lady is 67 or so. :) She's actually retired, but my mother-in-law managed to coax her out of retirement! :lol:
    Our confinement lady had her faults too, Ariel. More of that in another post!
    Hahha, small world eh, Reg. Reader? :lol: Now you got me wondering who you are. Anyway, it's a good thing your MIL agreed to do this - you'll save a few grand! Hahhahhah!
    I will check with her Babe_KL. She's actually gone into retirement but my MIL managed to coax her to do it again. :)
    3 & 4 eh, Buaya. :lol: Productive guy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. gina..u can have baby even your 60 years old with the new technology now....u just need to go to hospital and tell them.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL. Eh eh.... she sounds super great woman la. Keep her number la. Maybe in a few years' time my sister will find tat number very useful Nyek nyek... she's getting married this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 60, Phoenix? Sure the technology can help, but your body's gonna take it real bad.
    Sure Sapphire, as long as your sis can coax her out of retirement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooo ok james... my fren had his wife and baby checked into peiling confinement centre now... will update on wat his comment on dat facilities

    ReplyDelete
  16. Peiling Confinement Centre? Whoa, this confinement thing is getting very commercial now isn't it, Babe_KL. Yeah do update!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is something called surrogate mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. James, please help... i stayed on overseas after uni to work and now ended up in New York. All has been good till now when i am planning to have my first baby. As you can imagine there really is no such thing such as "confinement ladies" over here. I am however, not sure if my post-partum sanity can survive without one. I am hesitant to trust my my families' recommendations (i have after all, seen THEIR confinement ladies). Your article about confinement ladies shows that you and I are on the same track about what makes a good confinement lady. Can you please provide contacts? Any help will be very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I am searching for confinement lady and that's how I got your blog address. Is it possible to have the contact no of your confinement lady?
    I will visit your blog again for your reply :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi James, thanks for sharing abt ur confinement lady. I was really excited to come across your blog. Why? Because we will be naming our child Jessica. Amazing. Also I'm looking for a confinement lady & would greatly appreciate it if I can have the contact no. of ur confinement lady. Thanks a million.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like most people are writing to you cos they are on a search for a confinement lady (I'm no exception). Could I please get her contact details????

    ReplyDelete