Friday, March 12, 2004

33 and Still Going Strong

When I was eleven, my mom gave me the confession of her life,"It was a terrible time. I was pregnant and I didn't know what to do." Dad was leaving, and at 27 her whole world had come crumbling down on her. Desperate and desolate, and afraid that she didn't have it in her to bring up her unborn child, mom downed a couple of raw pineapples and some strong chinese herbs with the hope of putting me out of my misery. "I'm so sorry," she said as tears rolled down her face, "I'm so glad you made it." I hugged her and reassured her that at 11-years old, I have lived 11 happy years.


Yup, I made it, yes indeedy! And I must say, it has been a pretty good life. I grew up with mom, while my 2 elder brothers went with dad. While our little household could have used a little more luxury, we were never short on love. From the first day she doted on me and now, years later, she continues to do just that. I am her golden boy. I suspect there were times she considered me an intolerable little snot but the love in her heart stopped her from caning the bejeepers out of me!


I just turned 33 a few days back. And just like that I have lived 33 happy years. I have the best mom in the world, a wonderful wife and soon, an intolerable little snot to call my own. What more could a man ask for?


PS: Gina! Thanks a lot for reminding me my age and publishing it for the world to see. You ass! Hahahah! *piak*

8 comments:

  1. Awwww James.
    Are you for real? You almost sound like you're made believe. It gives me hope to know that there are nice men out there.
    I'm glad you were born. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i guess when you go through life like that, you realize how hard things can be and you make sure your children don't ever live to go through it. :)
    Happy 33th birthday dude! people like you make the world go round and in and out and upsidedown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being glad I was born, meesh! That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said. While I like to think of myself as a nice guy, most of the time I'm just mediocre! Heehhe...
    Thanks for the sentiment, natasha. No wonder the world's such a mess. *ahaks*

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me at hello with that pineapple story. Real classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have plenty of fruit stories don't I, Gina? :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the pineapple story to the mango story. hahahahahaha.
    wonder how is the mango doing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... Ur story should go down in the next Chicken Soup for the Soul series. Really...! =)
    Hope u had a smashing bday~!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, annu. I did have a nice birthday. Chicken Soup eh? Hmm.... :)

    ReplyDelete