Monday, June 14, 2004

Weird Adventures: 01

My family was never really big on religion. Sure, we'd light a few joss-sticks every now and then, or slaughter some chickens at every major Chinese festival. But no, we weren't all that religious.

Take Grandma for instance. Grandma prayed to the Goddess of Mercy. While most devotees refrained from eating beef, on account of the Goddess' Hindu traditions, Grandma never did.

"I like to eat," she says, "The Goddess of Mercy doesn't eat beef, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I did." Grandma always did have the most sensible explanation for things. And so, no, we were never all that religious. But like any good old-fashioned Chinese family, we were held on to tradition.

Grandma's biggest fear was that all her kids might someday turn to Christianity. Who then would send her off to her final resting place in accordance with Chinese customs? Who would make offerings to her after she goes? To her, praying to the ancestors was a sign of filial piety.

In the 80s, he daughter, my auntie became Christian. And hell broke loose in our household that day. And then my cousin became Christian. And another auntie. And then me. Fortunately, by then she had mellowed.

"So I guess you won't filial to me after I'm gone, will you?"

"No Grandma, I won't" I told her matter-of-factly. "But I'll be as nice to you as I possibly can for the rest of your life."

7 comments:

  1. Hardyharhar.
    You always crack me up, dude! Keep up the good work!
    And all the best, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom's father wouldn't allow her to go to church when she first accepted Christ. Being an obedient & fillial daughter, she stayed at home. But she prayed. And her father's friends, who weren't Christians themselves, said, "Why do you stop her from going to church? They only teach good things, what!" And so eventually he allowed her to go to church. Much later, he became a Christian himself after he saw the difference in his children's behaviour after they accepted Christ.
    I grew up in a Christian family so I never faced oppostion in my faith. My bro once asked my mom, "How come I never have any trials wan?!" :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said it, dude - what counts most is showing your love and care for your cool grandma (saw her pic in one of your posts!) while she is still alive and not when it's too late ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm..i miss my grandma..she's very nice n a good cook..she passed away when i was 9..sigh
    but it's good that i've spent 9yrs growing up in her care...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ash. Erm... keep cracking. :lol:
    Somehow Irene, I sort of identify with your dad. Before I became a Christian, I though Christians were just plain weird. But now that I go to church, I know they are!! :lol:
    Yeah Ariel. My granny's gotten used to the idea now; it's better to be loved while you're still around than after you're gone!
    Unlike your grandma, glinar, mine was a tragic cook. But we love her anyway!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "No Grandma, I won't" I told her matter-of-factly. "But I'll be as nice to you as I possibly can for the rest of your life."
    Having seen that pic of your Grandma, I'm impressed that you said that to her, and surprised she didn't karate-chop you to the kerb! :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I like living dangerously, Sashi! :lol:

    ReplyDelete