Thursday, April 15, 2004

Oatmeal


all the nutrition and taste any man could want


An excruciating pain in the heel has put Skipinder the Punjabi Kangaroo out of commission. So much for that idea. Instead, the new plan would involve eating oats. Lots and lots of oats.

Last week, a trip to Watson's gave me the inspiration for the new weight-loss strategy. I stumbled upon these little boxes of Quaker Oatmeal Porridge and I decided to give it a try. The first thing about this product that caught my attention was the flavours. Ikan Bilis. Anchovies in Oatmeal? What a great idea. The other was a Chicken & Onions combo. Wow. Taste and nutrition in a pack. What more could a man want? As luck would have it, during our last visit to the Gynecologist, Mae had been advised to get lots of fibre in her diet. And what better source of fibre than oats? We were sold.

Yesterday, I opened up the Chicken & Onions box. In it, there were 3 sachets for 3 servings. As I poured the contents into a small bowl I was...erm... quaking with anticipation. I added hot water to the contents and viola! a couple of minutes later, breakfast was ready. And it had real bits of chicken and fried onions. Excellent stuff!

It was so good I decided to have it again this morning. Mae took a taste and said, "I know you'll definitely love this because it's so savoury." Mae's gonna go for the regular, plain old, boring Quaker Instant Oats. Which leaves me one whole box of Ikan Bilis Oatmeal Porridge all for myself. Hehheh. And that's all I'm gonna eat for the rest of the month until I finally lose weight. Is that a plan or what?

A new plan for a new man. And, hopefully the new man would be 12 kgs lighter by the end of April.

21 comments:

  1. Fibre is indeed a good way to lose weight. Just don't overeat it, or else you might end up with more weight than when you began with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't forget to eat lots of fruits too.
    12kg is a lot of weight to lose.. good luck man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12 kg... hmmm....
    that's one fifth of my weight...

    ReplyDelete
  4. James! You'll get sick of oats after eating them for two weeks straight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. u shld target to lose weight slowly, not expect to lsoe so much in such a short time. mebbe target to lose a few pounds each week. dat way, u lose gradually, maintain a healthy diet & exercise too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when I was on a 3-mth long Raleigh International expedition, we had to have porridge (oats mixed with milk and water) for breakfast every single day!!!! not easy I can tell you that!
    It was standard Raleigh rations because it's high in for energy, fibre and it fills up your stomach so you don't feel hungry.
    my preferred way of eating oats is dry oats, with a little bit of cold water and mixed raisins. try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HATE IT! I absolutely hate the taste of oats man. I too bought two tins of it with hopes of losing weight. Had it twice and thats it, couldnt stand the taste of it edy. Hope u have better luck then me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I particularly love the Ikan Bilis-flavoured one! In fact, I still have 2 boxes of it in one of my drawers in office for tea breaks. Hehe.. Good luck with your plan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa! Like a fibre overdose, raZZbeRRy? :)
    I'm not that big on fruit, ted. But it's probably good advice.
    Are you too thin, ryuu? 60kgs? Whoa!
    Nah, irene. If I like something, I can keep eating it. I'm a faithful guy! ;)
    I'm probably deluding myself oliviasy! I'll be happy with any loss. :lol:
    Oh no, adriene. I can't stand raisins!!!
    Hahahh!!! I think I'm off to a better start than you, annu. I'm already fantasising my next meal of Ikan Bilis Oatmeal Porridge! :lol:
    Ah, MandY... I have this impulse to eat the Ikan Bilis one now!! :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey James... why don't you consider meal replacement supplements?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eating processed food is not good either. If you want oats, just eat plain oats. You need to eat lots fresh food like raw fruits. Imagine all the toxins you are eating. The best diet is the 'eat right' diet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nah, Shine. I'm just testing testing. Nothing serious here! :)
    If it's up to me, seri, I will never eat right. :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey nice website..all the best in the coming fatherhood and losing weight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally off topic, but I just wanted to say that I've linked ya! Enjoy your oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Sara.
    Thanks Rachel and adriene. Permit me to link you right back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you dont die trying that, perhaps I will do it later.
    Drink more water.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Piak eh...
    Before my wedding I actually diet-ed for 6 months. Well, if you can call it a diet. I still eat 3 square meals, but I cut out sweets, desserts and snacks in-between meals. Like TOTALLY! I only allow myself to snack on fruits.
    Takes alot of willpower, coz I started around September. Didnt help that Hari Raya, Christmas, Valentine and CNY was around the corner! With that and a strict 4-day-a-week fitness regime, I managed to lose a miserable 1.5kgs in 6 months.
    Good luck, man!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll live, Gina. Question is, do I have the willpower to keep this up. It's not looking good so far! :)
    Why oh why are you trying to lose weight, Mdmafia? There's hardly anything left to lose lah, sayang! :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  19. O yeah???
    That's not what YOU said the last time you saw me!
    :(

    ReplyDelete