Friday, April 9, 2004

Good Friday


it could have been a great Friday


This is Lola. Tonight Lola sings it at the Shanghai Inn with her cabaret girls. I, on the other hand am stuck here in my office. And on Good Friday. Meanwhile, Lola is swingin' it to a full house tonight. And on her opening night, no less. *sigh*

Okay. It's not exactly a cabaret. Lola is the heroine in my church's Easter offering. The story evolves around the lives of a few down-on-their-luck characters in old Shanghai. Set in the 1930s, Shanghai Reborn is a musical drama produced by DUMC's creative ministry, Punctuation Productions. It's an amateur production, of course but it's pretty good. Mae and I were supposed to have gone. We didn't get tickets, but since Mae's wonderful husband occasionally does some behind-the-stage work, we can usually sneak in! As stagehands, of course. Or make-up people. Or wardrobe assistants. Hehhe!

But too bad. Work rules, tonight.

Anyway, if you have never been to DUMC for a stage production, do try. The plays are pretty good. The stories, well told. The music, well scored. Punctuation does 3 productions in a year - Easter in April, Arts Fest in August and Christmas in December. As for Shanghai Reborn, it plays for 3 nights only. Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 8:00pm. Member's have to pay. However for the general populace, it's free. Wonderful or what? :)

7 comments:

  1. hope your good friday was er good? what a small world. i am currently in bristol, uk and one of my classmates who also happens to be my churchmate is from dumc, chairmaine, do you know her?
    the musical sounds really really great. wish i could catch it.
    blessed easter james!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [spelling correction]
    that is charmaine, charmaine goh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if I know your friend. I do know a Charmaine who dances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was pretty good but maybe a tad too melodramatic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob dragged me there coz of your glowing review ;) Music and acting were superb but the singing voices were poor, not strong/full enough and didn't carry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. I would have like to have seen it for myself, Bob K but unfortunately the weekend had been hectic!
    Glowing review, irene? Ooops! I only plugged it cos I had a hand in determining the wardrobe for this drama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit .. it was the pic (nice wardrobe) that made me go .. coupled by the fact that I had nothing to do on Sunday night and I "fong fei gei" Irene in the morning :P

    ReplyDelete