Thursday, April 22, 2004

There's Hell To Pay, Boy!


a cool day in Hellboy


After having quelled my burning desire for a few weeks now, yesterday I snapped. I gave in. I knew it was just a matter of time that it got the better of me and yesterday it did. Yesterday I snuck out behind Mae's back to watch Hellboy on my own. :)

Two of the things I love most in the world, other than my wife, my soon-to-be kid, my family and friends are surely movies and comics. And Hellboy, being a movie adaptation of a comic is a must-see where I'm concerned. And while I would have love to have Mae go along with me for the show, our culture just doesn't permit it.

The Chinese must be the most superstitious lot in the whole wide world. We have taboos for everything. And as far as Chinese folks are concerned, pregnancy is a time of self-restraint. According to the old folks, expectant mothers must refrain from looking at ugly things otherwise their babies might end up ugly as well. My maternal grandma used to tell me stories. She had a neighbour who was preggers. To celebrate the birth of their child, her hubby brought home a goat, to slaughter when their baby arrives. (This was in the 50s, okay!) Anyway, when the kid was born, the poor little guy got his looks from the family goat! Or so it was, according to Granny.

Which leads to why Mae cannot watch Hellboy. While I think Hellboy is a cool guy, I can safely say that neither Mae nor I would ever want Baby to end up looking like him, or worse, Abe Sapien. Hahahah! And so I went alone, sneaking out in broad daylight while Mae was at work.

Anyway, the movie was only *aiight* for me though I thought the make-up and effects were pretty spectacular. And then a whole new problem began. The trouble with me is, whenever I have a spectacular experience (movie or otherwise) I just want to share it with Mae. So there I was, guilt-laden having watched a movie behind her back - fearful that she might find out. The consequences could be dire. On the other hand I was bursting at the seams to tell her about it! Argh!

Finally I 'fessed up. "Honey, this afternoon I watched Hellboy," I said to which I quickly added, "But it was pretty disappointing." I was prepared for Mae to go Hellboy on my guilty behind but it never happened. Instead she felt the need to console me for my disappointing day-out.

Must have been the puppy-dog face that I so expertly put on for times like these. Heh!

12 comments:

  1. just aiight, randy jackson? i thought ron perlman nailed the role perfectly....
    puppy-dog face, eh? i guess guys have to perfect that look once they get married, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the AIIGHT reminds me of Randy Jackson. :D
    You seem like the perfect married couple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You out on the puppy-face? :-o Doesn't that mean your baby will look like a puppy too? Congratulations and best of luck with baby, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought it was really funny that the movie title was changed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehhehh, the *aiight* was supposed to clue you guys in on what an American Idol fan I am! :lol:
    No complains there, SS. Ron Perlman is as good as it gets as Hellboy. It's just that I find the movie loses momentum every now and then. And yeah, start working on that puppy-dog face now! :lol:
    Well, raZZ, we ARE the perfect couple. We conform to the manual and do everything that couples do... including the occassional screaming and shouting matches! :) Nah... we're pretty regular folks.
    Oh man, Flip... you're right! Looks like Baby's gonna turn out puppy-ish. But on the... erm... flipside, just think of all the loving he'll be getting!!
    Yeah, Jas. Our censorship board changed "Hellboy" to "Super Sapiens" to protect our fragile little minds. :)
    Hahhaa!! Doesn't this just give you a glimpse of how Baby's gonna turn out, annu?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *indignant* don't knock Abe Sapien! if the old wives' tales are true, the baby might be good at swimming! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. James wrote: "...just think of all the loving he'll be getting!!"
    That's good, of course :) And all the food at the table :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the movie was really fun...and I thought Red's lines at the end was quite romantic...Anyway, it must be a bummer when you're pregnant and all the horror/monster/slasher movies come out that you want to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess Simon Cowelll should come here to jugde Akedemi Fantasia, thar would boost ratings and make me wanna watch, i bet almost all will be booted out judging from the promo they did on astro. :lol: :-:

    ReplyDelete
  10. :lol: Yes, indeed ItchyMicchi! But then he might start reading my mind!
    Only problem is, it's more expensive to feed a puppy than it is a baby, Flip!! :)
    I'm going anyway, Zsarina! Shhh...
    You bet, KA. If Simon did come, I'll be glued to the TV set! :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Then, you better stay out of Mae's sight. Haha.
    Aiseh, me also lah like that. I look worse than Hellboy. I can't go to work now.

    ReplyDelete