Friday, April 23, 2004

Going Home

We're going home! Yay!! Tonight, Mae and I will drive to my hometown, Taiping. We will leave at 6pm and if everything goes well - good traffic, good weather, etc. we ought to make it home by 9pm.

It's been awhile since we went home. We would have gone home during Chinese New Year in January this year however Mae was in no condition to travel. Back then she was in her first trimester and practically puking her guts out. Anyway, my mom's been dying to see daughter-in-law all bloated so tonight we'll just drop in an surprise her.

Travelling tonight will be perfect. By the time we get home, we'll be just in time for dinner. And dinner will be the best Char Kuey Teow in the world. Yes it's true! The best Char Kuey Teow is in Taiping. Don't let any Penangite tell you otherwise!! Hahahah! Okay, this is where I steer clear off the paths of angry Penang folks.

As I was saying, arriving tonight will be perfect. After Char Kuey Teow, we'll hang out with mom for a bit and then we'll catch Survivor All-Stars on TV. Tomorrow morning, breakfast will be Taiping's famous Kai See Mein (Chicken Strip Noodle). On Sunday we'll have a nice Chee Cheong Fun. Yup, a trip back to Taiping is always a time for pigging-out. *sigh* There goes the diet!

Anyway, we'll be gone only for the weekend. But it will definitely be a much needed break. Incidentally, Taiping mean Eternal Peace in Chinese. Just the perfect place for some peace and quiet. :)

9 comments:

  1. Hello there! Was blog-hopping when I came across yours :) Just wanted you to know that your blog's really great and we (my sis and I) will be adding your link to our blog soon :) Oh, hope you had a great time in Taiping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe journey. I need to go out of KL really bad but will be stuck here until Labour Day weekend... then I will go balik kampung!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Safe travel, my friend! Watch out for those crazy lori drivers! 6 years in the US and those freaking 18-wheelers still scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hv a safe journey, james. enjoy yr weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the popiah in taiping..hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nonchalant Penangite replies: You enjoy your char koay teow, and let me enjoy mine. Anyway, have a safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got back from Taiping today. :) Bad traffic over there. Apparently EVERYONE must be back for the weekend. Oh, btw... where's the nicest Char Kuey Teow in Taiping. Perhaps I could head down there for a nice lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Sara. :)
    Hey Norzu, it'll be worth the wait since that weekend's gonna pretty long!
    Our lorries here are pretty tame compared to the ones you have there. And I'm sure your fears are compounded further by those slasher-movies featuring those scary 18-wheelers! :)
    I did, Olivia! Thanks.
    We didn't have enough time to fit Taiping Popiah into our itenary, Dee. *sniff* :o(
    Hahahaa!!! I will enjoy my CKT, Peter. However, for Asam Laksa, Rojak Buah and Roti Babi, I will enjoy yours! :lol:
    Hmm, I hadn't noticed the traffic raZZbeRRy! Must have still been in my CKT-induced stupor! Oh btw, that CKT is only open at night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roti babi - this seems to have gone the way of the dinosaurs in Penang. The last one I had used fish and chips dip. That was the most horrible tasting roti babi I ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete