Saturday, April 10, 2004

Toast of the Town


the toast of the town


One of the most troublesome thing with Mae's pregnancy is surely her constant battle with insomnia. Of course with Mae, the battle inadvertantly becomes mine since she considers it a good idea to wake me up in ungodly hours of the day to share with me her inability to fall asleep. Today was such a morning.

Okay, technically it wasn't that early but as far as I'm concered, any time before 10 am on a Saturday morning is far too early for me. But since we were up, we decided to make the best of it by having an early breakfast.

A couple of years ago, I had heard of this little coffee shop in Section 14, PJ that serves wonderful, old-fashioned, Chinese breakfast. A review in a local daily recommends the Chee Cheong Fun and their signature Kaya Toast. While the Kaya Toast is available most of the day, the Chee Cheong Fun had gotten quite a reputation and sells out quite early.

We managed to make our way to Hai Keng coffee shop. It's along Jalan 14/20. If you're coming from Jaya Shopping Centre, it's at the end of the road on the block ofter the Metrojaya block. We settle down at 9:30am and I make my way to the back of of coffee shop only to see the Chee Cheong Fun guy eating the last of his popular dish! Aw man. It's 9:30am, for crying out loud!! And we thought we were early.

We ended up with the Kaya Toast. Like any good old Hainanese boy, I had mine with a couple of half-boiled eggs. And I can testify that this is one good Kaya Toast. The bread is the handmade kind just like I used to have as a kid. Excellent! The toast is perfect, although not toasted over charcoal. It it crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The butter and Kaya combination is just nice. But when I dip a slice into the runny yolk of my half-boiled eggs... Mmmm... that, my friends is a slice of Heaven!

Just the kind of breakfast that makes early Saturday mornings a little more bearable.

9 comments:

  1. james, i think its normal for pregnant wife to be protect u.....i will proberly shouting shut up ur blog and go to sleep!!!!!!!!!!!and goodnite readers:lol:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to stay up late and wake up late, phoenix!
    It was, raZZbeRRy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 好好。。。。知道了。。。。:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. a reader of your blogApril 11, 2004 at 6:17 PM

    9:30am is too late ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. English please, phoenix. I am as "banana" as they come!
    Ah, reader. Early birds catch worms lah. I want Chee Cheong Fun. :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  6. james..okok..sure..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doesnt Mae wonder why ur always taking pictures of the food you guys eat? =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, phoenix! :)
    No annu, she just thinks I'm enthusiatic about photography! :lol:

    ReplyDelete