Wednesday, April 7, 2004

Anxiety

The problem with pregnancy is the long gestation period. It takes 9 months to make a baby. More accurately, 265 days. That's 6,360 long hours of waiting. It can get a little unnerving, believe me.

Today, Baby is a little over 19 weeks old. With 142 days to go, we're not even halfway there yet! And it gets difficult sometimes, especially when I see Mae going through the symptoms. Even as I write this, my poor wife is in bed feeling quite sick. And there isn't a single thing I can do for her. I can't even get her a Panadol since most of our pregnancy "manuals" advises against taking certain medications. I feel helpless. And I feel guilty as well. Guilty that I did this to her. And guilty that I sometimes find myself secretly thinking, "Thank God it wasn't me."

Our next scheduled appointment with the Gynae is on Friday. But we'll probably go this morning because we're a little concerned that Mae's condition might affect Baby. Thankfully, this is the first time Mae's gotten sick during her pregnancy. Hopefully it will also be the last.

Cats and dogs are made in 62 days. Hamsters, in just 16. But us, we take a whopping 265 days!! That's a terribly long time to wait... for anything! Perhaps this is God's way of making sure we appreciate our children. Perhaps it's a way to make sure we always cherish human life. Perhaps it's a reminder how much our parents suffered that we may have life.

Thank God we're not elephants!

9 comments:

  1. Hey mate,
    Hope things are not getting too worrisome for you and your mate.
    Keeping fingers crossed so that everything is fine, and I'd just like to say keep up the elite work dude. Someday, when I have a kid of my own, OPERATIVE WORD - SOMEDAY :), would use your experiences as the manual.
    Dude, you are doing an elite job. So keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, dude. I'd say you've been doing a good job so far. Lucky Mae! Hope everything's going to be fine, and we'll be seeing baby's pic here in 142 days' time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. >hugs to james & mae< i think u'r doing fine, james. cooking dinner, going shopping wit mae... :) remember to update us on BB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of you will think that it's certainly worth it 142 days later. :)!! Good luck with the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aiseh. Mae is sick, so I have to hold the fortress all by myself. Must ask for pay increase. hehehhe.
    Humans have 46 Chromosomes. Potatoes have 48. So, if got 2 extra, we turn into potato is it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. james...iam agreeing with razzberry...:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wah, Suresh, my blog for a manual ah? I am not worthy! But thanks for the encouragement, dude. :)
    Heya, ted. Thanks. 142 days... phew*
    Thanks, oliviasy. I'll keep updating. :)
    Yes, raZZbeRRy... all that waiting will make it more worthwhile. :)
    Hahahaa, Gina!! Sometimes I swear I have 2 extra chromosomes!
    Thanks, 凤凰. Sorry can't key in your name - besides I can't even read it! :lo:

    ReplyDelete
  8. James: I will definitely use your blog items as reference the day I get knocked up. :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahaha!!! I like it when people say "knocked up", pickyin! Mae gives me a dirty look when I say it!

    ReplyDelete