Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Sentimental Fool

Last night Mae and I watched The Passion of The Christ. The movie was gory, I can tell you that much.

I have read or heard the Jesus story quite a few times. And while, as a Christian I believe and acknowledge that Jesus was crucified for our sins, I'll have to admit that the gravity of the crucifixion never really set in. But seeing in on the big screen with all that blood and gore is overwhelming to say the least. And this is coming from a guy who loves big-screen blood and gore like the next guy. I found myself cringing in my seat throughout many of the scenes. And many times, the movie brought a tear to my eyes. But it wasn't the bloodfest that got me all misty-eyed.

Throughout the movie, we are given flashbacks of Jesus during "happier" times. Contrasted against the scenes of inhumane torture, we see a Jesus that preaches love and forgiveness. And it's those scenes that moved me to tears.

Last Sunday during Easter in church, the same sadness overwhelmed me. Right there in the midst of our songs of worship, I broke down and wept as strains of the chorus reminded me how much Jesus suffered for me. And I'm not even all that worthy.

I was a no-nonsense, take-no-shit, tough guy. But coming to church has turned me into a weepy, sentimental fool.

Mae is far luckier than she could have been. :)

4 comments:

  1. yikes! i saw the movie and it was really unsettling.. amazed your wife was able to watch it in her condition...

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, I cried the most when Mother Mary recounts how Jesus fell when he was small and she was there to help him up, and now when he was on the cross she could not.
    I was bawling like a baby. Yeah, I take less lightly the Stations now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was unsettling, SS, but it was a movie that needed to be watched.
    Stop trying to make me cry, graceshu! :)
    Meesh, Mae felt it too being an expectant mommy and all... powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete