Wednesday, April 7, 2004

Assurance In A Heartbeat!

Last night was rough (see previous post). For a guy who can sleep through a World War, last night was bad. I didn't manage to sleep till 4am. As a result, we got up a little late this morning. Mae called our Gynae to bring forward our appointment from Friday. But as fate would have it, the good doctor is off today and tomorrow. And if we wanted to know how Baby was doing, we'd have to wait till Friday or go to another Gynae.

Finally we decided to see a General Practitioner just to get some advise on Mae's fever, sore throat and headache. We ended up in a clinic nearby and I accompanied Mae in. The doctor took her pressure and temperature and told us that indeed Mae had a fever. She then proceeded to explain that she would be prescribing some Panadol and some lozenges for the throat. No antibiotics! And that was the end of the consultation.

As we got up to leave, I felt all desolate that we weren't gonna find out Baby's condition till Friday. In utter desperation, I turned around and in a final plea for help I asked Doc, "Doc, do you think you could check on Baby for us?" I didn't have to say more. She knew. She probably saw all that worry in my eyes and knew exactly what I was thinking. "Why, sure," she said with a smile and led Mae to the examination table. I sank back in my chair.

Mae got on and Doc put her stethoscope on the belly. Then she moved it to another position, and another, and then yet another. At that point, I felt a surge of panic run up my spine. I got of my chair and went up to the examination table. What if Doc couldn't find a heartbeat? What if something's wrong? What if... and then Doc said, "Ah, the heartbeat is regular. Your baby is fine."

And just like that, I felt a huge rock lifted up from off my chest. I looked at my wife an I knew she felt exactly the same way that I did.

Everything was going to be alright.

12 comments:

  1. James, you will have many more experiences lik this, especially when Baby arrives. A parent's love is naturally strong and nothing can compare to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi...don't worry urself too much. The baby's fine even when the mother is sick. As long as the baby's kicking and moving, there should be nothing that you need to worry about. Just don't take any antibiotics.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. just reading yr blog entry, oso can get me nervous/excited/worried/concern. am glad for u james. u'll be a great daddy figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) glad everything is alrite

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry too much. It's normal that pregnant ladies would still catch a flu bug or two; it wouldn't affect the baby. Still, buy loads of those baby books and magazines, attend those classes, do the exercises, and everything will be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. james...u should appear more calm to give ur wife confidence....if u worry to much u will make her double worry!!!! btw, i am phoenix..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Antibiotics may be needed in some situations. There is no such things as never. If worried, consult a doctor. If still in doubt, get a second opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything will be alright. You're taking good care of Mae. :) Keep us updated about baby, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks chOpine. Yup, we're getting some movements now! :)
    I know what you mean, pickyin. In the last few days, I have begun to understand the meaning of the word "bittersweet" more than I ever have.
    Thanks for your care and concern, oliviasy. I appreciate it. :)
    Thanks, ryuu.
    Yes, Strizzt. I agree. We have been piling up on our reading materials. :) Having a baby is hard work!
    That's why Mae doesn't know about this blog, phoenix! :lol:
    Thank, huajern. I take it you must be a medical professional. :)
    Thanks for the encouragement, raZZbeRRy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems like we're all moving with you in the Baby experience. I was like sitting at the edge of my chair reading ur post, and found meself heaving a sigh of relief when i got to the end of it. It's like we're having the baby too!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with annu. So glad to hear that everything's fine. Hope Mae feels better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow annu, you make my life sound so much more interesting that it really is! :lol:
    Thanks irene, Mae is feeling a lot better now. :)
    You people are all so wonderful. All of you. If I could, I'd share Baby with all of you! :)

    ReplyDelete