Thursday, April 29, 2004

Journey

We're going on another holiday. Yaaaaayyy!!! This time its Hanoi.

This one's gonna be the last holiday Mae and I will have for a long, long time. With Baby arriving late August, we expect our live to take a major turn. For one, we'll have to forgo our holidays. A lot of it will have to do with the fact that Baby will be too young to travel. Also, at the early stages of his life he will need Mommy more than ever. So that rules out any travel minus Baby.

But aside from the physiological reasons, we expect that it will be difficult to part from Baby that early on. Over the course of the pregnancy, Baby has become such a big part in our life that we've become awfully attached to the little guy - despite the fact that he hasn't technically arrive. Besides, we would like to be there at the milestones of Baby's development. The first time he sits up, when he starts on solid foods, when he takes his first steps, when he utters his first words... stuff like that has suddenly become so important.

I have always loved kids whilst Mae had never really been a fan. But over the course of the last few month, I have seen such a major change in her. Sometimes when I peek into the room, I see her cradling her tummy and talking affectionately to Baby. Other days she'd be singing to him. And occassionally she'd read the bible to him. As I look at my wife on her journey into motherhood, I am overwhelmed.

Anyway, on Friday is our lesser journey. This one takes us to Hanoi, Vietnam for 4 days and 3 nights. So if you don't see any updates on this blog, you know why. :)

Oh yeah, if you've never told your parents you love them you probably ought to. Now's as good a time as any.

13 comments:

  1. hv a nice jouney to hanoi james! hv fun yar! tell mae she's lucky lucky lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, i can just imagine a dialogue between yourself and your son in the future:
    James: "Flower."
    Baby: [shakes head]
    James: "Flower..."
    Baby: [shakes head]
    James: "Flower..?"
    Baby: "Orchid-lah! More specifically, Paphiopedilum niveum, also known as the Slipper Orchid. It is a terrestrial orchid peculiar to the northern region of Peninsular Malaysia. What lah, Dad, this one also don't know ah?"
    James: "???"
    Mae: "So clever..!"
    Have fun in Hanoi! :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  3. James,
    Bon voyage, and do not forget to bring back lots of pix to share with us.
    I am especially touched by your last line. Yes, now is as good as any time to tell your parents how much you love them. I remember many years ago when I told my father that I loved him, he was taken aback and asked me why I said that. There should not be any reason to tell your parents that you love them. It simply is. Sadly, most times when we say "I love you," it is most probably to our girlfriend, wife, mistress or lover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a reader of your blogApril 29, 2004 at 12:58 PM

    james, i am so touched...
    you know what, i have an idea. i suggest you take some pics of your wife while she is craddling her tummy/talking/singing to the little james without her knowing it..
    then, show her those pics sometime in the future ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. have a safe trip, get some much needed break before baby teaches you otherwise.muahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i guess baby's first words will be Kuey Teow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am jealous! But I am taking the opportunity of the long weekend to go home and see my parents. So it all works out :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, good for you James! Mae (and the baby) is real lucky to be able to go to Hanoi. Someday, you could tell the baby "You've been to Hanoi before". :) Take lots of pictures!!
    Btw, seems like everyone is going for holidays this long weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nah. Olivia... I think I'm luckier! :)
    Thanks, SS. If my son got so smart, then he probably didn't get it from me. :lol:
    You're right, Peter. Perhaps it's our conservative Asian culture that's keeping our emotions locked inside. And yes, I hope to get some nice shots.
    That's a good idea, Reader. If I get any good shots perhaps I'll post them up here and "intro" my wife to the world. :)
    Thanks KA! Hahahh... If Baby's first words are Kuey Teow, I'll have to pick up the Kuey Teow trade! :)
    Good on you, Irene! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah raZZ! Baby's going places! :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a good holiday.
    I tell my mommy and daddy I love them everyday! (I've been a bad kid when I was in college and broke their hearts) I am making up for it every day now....
    Mother's Day is coming up soon! :D
    Happy Mother's Day to Mae!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool.holiday...i just came back from KL this afternoon.great fun to meet up with old friends. ;)
    maybe next time i should take a trip to some other places i have never been to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good girl, Shine! :)
    Yeah, Dee! Go forth and conquer the land. :lol:

    ReplyDelete