Tuesday, April 6, 2004

The Quickening

Last night was weird. Mae and I had gone to sleep a little after twelve. While it usually takes Mae awhile to doze of, the same cannot be said for me. I am the epitome of sleep. I am the professional sleeper. I sleep any time, anywhere and with complete ease I might add. I'm a hypnotist's dream subject - snap your fingers and I'm out like a light! But enough about me!

Last night, like every other I dozed off quickly enough. I might have slept for a half hour or so when Mae suddenly shrieked out, "My stomach!! It's all bloated!! Help!!" Mae has a flair for the melodramatic. She sounded as though an alien was trying to burst out of her abdomen! I jumped out of bed (and almost out of my skin) in a state of panic. My heart was beating frantically. And I was falling all over myself.
"Honey, what's wrong!? What's wrong!??!" I screamed back.

"My belly!!! Look!! It's bloated on one side!"
I put my hand on her belly and lo and behold, there was indeed a little lump on the left side. It was all so disorienting. I was half awake. It was pitch black in our room. There's a lump on my wife's belly. And she was screaming her head off.
"Is something wrong with Baby?"

"I think it IS Baby"
, she calmed down a little. "He's pushed himself to the side!"

"What do I do? What do I do?!?? Should I push him back?"
Hahahaha!!! And then we burst out laughing like a couple of hyenas on heat. We realised that this was our first experience of Baby's movement. This was the quickening that we'd read about. And yet nothing that we had read prepared us enough for the actual experience. I put my hand on Mae's belly and I felt Baby's movements. They were a little faint, I suppose due to Baby's size. He is after all only 6 inches long now. But wow, what a feeling! By then the lump has subsided. We then said a little prayer and asked that God kept our little fella safe. And just like that we went back to sleep. Like nothing happened.

There's never a dull moment in the Tan household.

12 comments:

  1. ah so now we know its the Tan household...

    ReplyDelete
  2. James's baby。。。你好。。哈哈

    ReplyDelete
  3. yr sleep pattern & my bf sleep pattern alike. he can doze off just like dat. i take much longer, plus am a sensitive sleeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are so hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha.. my guy sleeps easily too.
    But anyway, I think it's hillarious and it's also very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have died of heart attack on the spot if my wife tells me that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cherish the experience.. One day, you will read this entry again with a tiny smile playing on your lips. For that matter, so will Baby!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. u are gushing like the smitten papa u are. hee hee...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, hairy knee. It is us, the amazing Tan household of kookiness! :)
    ??, my chinese not very good but lucky you kept it simple for me! Unfortunately Baby cannot answer you yet, so you'll just have to settle for dad here! :lol:
    oliviasy, I wake quite easily too. But I can always fall back asleep quickly! :)
    ... and insanity is only a small price to pay for hilarity, irene. ;)
    Heya raZZbeRRy, weren't you the one who wasn't supposed to have a guy till you started working? ;)
    Gina, Gina. Believe me, I did!!
    Yes, khalilur. I'm hoping that in case I turn out to be a letdown of a dad for Baby, this blog will be my trump card! :lol:
    Oh, Wena wait till Baby is born. I'll be insufferable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehe .. the Quickening indeed. Charis had the tendency to lean over to one side of Elaine's belly so her belly always looked lopsided ;)
    I did a naughty thing once though. I was feeling Charis' movements when she gave me a swift kick. I promptly pushed her back LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehe.. I'm not supposed to have a guy till I start working. But I do have a very, very close "special friend" whom I treat as my man. Only thing is that my family knows nothing about him... yet. So shhh...!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wah, Bob K, you are a brave man. I worry that Baby is to fragile to take it.
    Hey raZZbeRRy, no worries, you secret is safe as long as your parents don't suddenly go techie! :)

    ReplyDelete